Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sunday, September 25, 2011

At the baptistry

    I was assigned to work at the baptistry early one afternoon when I was happily greeted by a sister from Zhongshan, Guangdong.  We met her when we did a fireside with them in May when their Branch came to the temple.  We chatted since there were just the 2 of us.  Then, 4 sisters from Taiwan showed up.  After we finished the baptisms, I had a chance to introduce them to each other.  The 4 Taiwan sisters were astonished that Sister Shen (not her real name) was able to join the church in China.  Sister Shen started telling us how she met a dear friend who introduced her to the gospel.  Then, she asked:  is it okay if I bear my testimony to you?  We were flabbergasted; of course, yes, we told her.

    I grew up in Hunan Province where I finished the 6th grade.  School didn't hold any interest for me, so I never went back again.  By the time I was 18, I was already married and had one son.  It didn't work out, so I got a divorce.  By the time I was 27, I had 2 kids and was ending my second marriage.  Life was tough, and I wasn't able to get anywhere in Hunan.  So I decided to take my 2 kids to Zhongshan where my sister was to see if I could find a job and start a new life there.  

   In Zhongshan, I met Sister Tsai who introduced me to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I knew it was true and wanted to be baptized.  But a branch of Church was not in China, so I had to go to Macau to attend church.  It was very scary for me to go there by myself, but I did it because I really wanted to know more about the Church.  Because of my visa, I had to stay in Zhuhai and cross the border each day to Macau to be taught by the missionaries.  I was baptized after I took all the lessons.  I felt like a new person.  In 2009, I married a wonderful man who allows me to attend the local LDS church.  He has a son from a previous marriage, so now I have 3 kids, ages, 17, 16 and 7.  I love my family and learn so much from the church to help raise the children.  A few months ago, I decided to go back to Hunan to visit my family and to do some genealogy.  

    I was received by my family like a black sheep coming home.  They allowed me to have enough information for a 4-generation family group sheet, even though no one was very friendly.  My family owned a pig farm in Hunan.  While I was there, my brother-in-law was walking by a building on the farm and the wall collapsed.  It was a miracle that he escaped without any injury.  But my brother was on the 3rd floor and since the wall collapsed, the building started coming down with him in it.  There was a pitch fork standing upside down below and it broke his fall and saved his life.  Even though his feet were badly hurt, he recovered quickly and walks with a slight limp.  All through this experience, I was confirmed that the Lord was protecting my family.  Even though they haven't accepted my new found religion, He loves them just the same.


    I now own a business and it's doing fine.  I love my family and love the people who come to my shop.  People told me I have changed; even my family and friends noticed the good change on me.  I love to learn now and my mom was surprised that I have become a good homemaker, a good mom and a good person.  I know it's from living the gospel.  I hope that I can share the gospel with all my family and friends some day soon.

    We were so touched by her testimony that she so freely shared with us.  The 4 Taiwanese sisters were so happy to find a new friend.  These 4 sisters actually have met a Hong Kong sister on facebook and they decided to come to Hong Kong and meet at the temple.  It was a happy reunion.  I was so happy to witness these happy events.

Sister Shen, 4 Taiwan sisters and me


4 Taiwan sisters and their facebook friend
Sister Shen, Me and Sister Tsai





    




































    On Saturday, Sister Zhang Hui came to the temple for the first time.  We were all so happy for her.  She was touched by the Spirit as we witnessed.  How happy we are when we see these young people accepting the admonition to come to the temple.  It's a great commitment, but the Lord is happy when His children learn the importance of the temple and come to claim their many blessings.

Victoria III Branch at the HK Temple w/Zhang Hui (yellow top)


No comments:

Post a Comment